Wendy's Pregnancies


Little Willow Skye arrived on March 26th, 2003 weighing 9 pounds and measuring 21.5" long. It has taken me a long time to write down this birth experience because she almost didn't make it. Thankfully, she is perfectly healthy and a very happy little girl, a true bundle of joy.

On March 25th, the day after my due date, I was taking my oldest daughter to preschool and realized I was definitely in labor. I quickly drove myself to the hospital and was admitted. Finally, I was going into natural labor but after an exam I was told the baby was breached and they needed to stop the contractions until the doctor arrived. When the doctor arrived I told her how excited I was to have been in natural labor and that I was disappointed and surprised about the baby being breach. Just one week earlier the baby was head down! She explained to me that because it was my third baby my uterus was very stretched out so that makes it very easy for the baby to turn. She said that there was a chance she could turn the baby back to head down position with the ultrasound machine and her hand on my tummy. In a matter of seconds, the baby was back to head down position. It was amazing.

They wrapped the top of my tummy so the baby would not have enough space to turn again. Unfortunately, now I needed to induce the labor with drugs because they had given me the medication to stop the contractions. After delivering two large babies with no pain relief, my husband Joe said to me, "Why not try the epidural, maybe it will work." I kept thinking how big my second baby was and the tremendous pain I was in while delivering her. Then I thought that since each baby is usually larger than the prior, I'd better try it.

The epidural worked as far as pain, but it was the worst decision I ever made and I will never have one again. It robs you of going through labor as I knew it before and of truly feeling the birth of your baby as it's meant to be, if you are fortunate enough to experience a vaginal delivery. In my case, it also meant almost losing my baby because I had no idea and could not feel that I was a complete 10 centimeters and that the baby was waiting for me to push her out. I had dilated quickly, and normally the nurses only check you every few hours because it usually takes so long to get to 10 centimeters.

I wasn't due to be checked for another hour when the alarms went off that the baby was in distress. They ran in and examined me and said I was complete (10 centimeters). Within 30 seconds, there were ten people in the room and the doctor said the words "Emergency C-section." I was so scared. I hadn't had one before and I was so worried about the baby. As they were racing me down the hall the doctor had her hand inside of me and said the baby's head is right here if you can push harder than you ever have we can have her out faster than with a C-section.

I said, "Okay. Just tell me what to do." It was so bizarre to me, there were at least ten people in the room including a neonatologist waiting for the baby. But they didn't let my husband in. It was so scary. The doctor had to tell me when to push because I could hardly feel the contractions. There was no pain. I couldn't even feel if I was making progress or not. The baby came out quickly but they had to tell me because I didn't feel the relief of her being born.

The neonatologist was immediately working on the baby and I was asking if she was okay. The nurses kept saying, "She'll be okay, just give the doctor a minute." I asked for my husband, who they allowed in. He was running between the baby and me and kept saying, "they are helping her," but I've never seen him look so scared or helpless. It was all so surreal.

I could clearly see from across the room this beautiful nine pound chubby baby with a full head of dark hair but she was not breathing. I couldn't understand why it was taking so long and why they couldn't help her to breathe. After nearly 15 minutes of working on her, my husband ran to me and said, "she's breathing!" We both burst into tears and could not stop crying. Willow stayed in the NICU for a few days so they could monitor her and be sure there was no trauma to her body.

It was such a strange and lonely feeling to be in the hospital room with no baby. I didn't like that she was so far away from me. And to make matters worse my pelvis separated again so I needed help just to get in a wheelchair to get to the NICU. I couldn't just get up and go at any moment.

Luckily, after only a day I was able to use a walker on my own and see her at will. Thank God, she was doing great and they let her start breastfeeding after the first day so there was some normalcy post-birth.

You just have to be so thankful, appreciative, and truly know how blessed you are to have a healthy baby. There really is no wishing or hoping for anything else but that.

Back to Top